IT-alert is the public alert system that Italy is adopting; however, it is not a system for collecting reports of alerts or emergencies from individual users.
IT-alert is currently in an experimental stage.
IT-alert's social channels - @ITALERTgov on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube - have been activated in June 2023, during the testing period, to provide information to users about the tool and allow everyone, when it becomes operational, to identify it and know what to do.
Once IT-alert will be operational, social channels will not answer to requests for assistance, which should be addressed only to the single emergency number 112, where already active, or to the other dedicated lines (113, 115, 118, 1515, 1530 etc.).
Currently, IT-alert's social profiles are managed by the Communication and Culture Service of the Civil Protection Department.
During the experimental stage – currently planned until February 2024 - the profiles are active Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 8 PM.
Monitoring activity could be subject to change during civil protection emergencies that would involve the Department's staff.
- Published content
- Information on the IT-alert public warning system.
- Information on IT-alert message sending/receiving test activities planned at the regional level.
- Information on emergency events for which IT-alert will be used once operational.
- Facebook Messenger and Instagram direct message features are not available.
- As part of the content moderation activity, interventions are possible to flag a link or provide information items useful for clarifying doubts.
- For general information on civil protection themes, please refer to the toll-free number 800 840 840 840 of the Contact Center of the Civil Protection Department, active on a regular basis from Monday to Saturday from 8 AM to 8 PM, and social profiles (on Twitter and Facebook as @DPCgov, on YouTube and Flickr as Civil Protection Department).
Note that under no circumstances IT-alert social pages respond to requests for assistance, which should be addressed exclusively to the single emergency number 112, where already active, or to the other dedicated lines (113, 115, 118, 1515, 1530 etc.).
- Netiquette and Content Moderation
Comments and posts that do not comply with the conditions stated on this page or any applicable law will be moderated or removed. Therefore, it is hereby acknowledged that:
- On social networks, everyone who posts is responsible for the content they post. Therefore, you are asked to present your opinion with correctness and moderation, relying as much as possible on verifiable evidence, while respecting the opinion of others. Moderation by the manager of profiles occurs after publication and normally during office hours.
- Insults, turpitude, alarmist, threatening, violent attitudes, or attitudes that harm the dignity of persons, the rights of minorities and minors, the principles of freedom and equality, and respect for the Privacy Act are strictly prohibited.
- Commercial solicitations and comments that support or encourage illegal activity are not allowed.
- Content that infringes copyright or unauthorized use of trademarks is not allowed.
- Comments that contain personal data and information (phone number, email box, address, etc.) or that may harm a third party's dignity will be removed.
Comments and content of the following kinds are also discouraged, and still subject to moderation:
1. Comments not relevant to the topic posted.
2. Comments for or against political campaigns or voting directions.
3. Comments or links posted to disrupt discussion or offend those who manage and moderate social channels.
5. Interventions posted repeatedly.
With regard to those who violate these rules of conduct, possible measures may be contemplated:
recourse to ban, block or report to the managers of social platforms, and possibly to the Police.
4. Privacy and processing of personal data
The processing of personal data responds to the policies currently in place on the platforms in use according to the general terms and conditions accepted by users at the time of subscription. Sensitive data posted in comments within IT-alert socials will be removed.
The owner of the processing of personal data is: Presidency of the Council of Ministers - Department of Civil Protection with registered office in Via Ulpiano 11, 00193 Rome, email@example.com.
The staff of the Department may become aware of the data as part of their institutional activities, provided that communication is functional to the purposes of the processing.